What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
“Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. The VISTA program serves in each of the 50 U.S. states and in all U.S. territories.
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Apply and join thousands of AmeriCorps members in the AmeriCorps VISTA program who are united in our mission to lift people and communities out of poverty.”
– Information from AmeriCorps VISTA Official Website
Northshore STEM’s AmeriCorps VISTA Positions
Northshore STEM Coalition’s nonprofit status along with its mission to prepare all youth and young adults in the region for success by facilitating inclusive and quality STEM education and workforce development opportunities makes the organization a perfect fit for AmeriCorps VISTA work!
VISTA members serve full time for one-year terms and receive several benefits from the national program, such as a living allowance and professional development training. VISTAs build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities. In short, AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program help local organizations like the Northshore STEM Coalition expand their capacity to make change.
Service Year: January 2021 – 2022
The Communications VISTA is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing strategies, campaigns, and materials to reach all stakeholder groups for awareness, engagement, and support for the NSTEM Coalition and quality STEM programs.
- Developing and managing the NSTEM website, social media, print, and other media to inform and engage stakeholders.
- Working with and leveraging stakeholder talent and resources.
Community Impact VISTA
The Community Impact VISTA is responsible for:
- Developing, administering, analyzing, and interpreting NSTEM program participant and volunteer feedback.
- Assessing and reporting on participant learning outcomes.
- Researching vetted student-centered materials and activities with demonstrated learning outcomes aligned to Next Generation or Louisiana State Science Standards, 21st Century Skills, and other related outcomes.
- Grant writing for materials and activities in alignment with selected outcomes.
Esports / LASEF Coordinator VISTA
The Esports/LASEF Coordinator VISTA is responsible for:
- Assisting the LASEF advisory committee to develop and utilizing communication resources to inform, engage and coordinate members and stakeholders at large to accomplish LASEF goals.
- Assisting the LASEF advisory committee to develop and coordinate signature events for scholastic esports competitions, community awareness, engagement, support, professional development, and other priority outcomes as identified.
- Working with the LASEF advisory committee to identify, compile, and develop priority resources to support the growth and success of teams and clubs in school districts and youth-serving community organizations.
Stakeholder Engagement VISTA
The Stakeholder Engagement VISTA is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing solutions for stakeholder engagement including volunteer coordination.
- Planning and organizing volunteer appreciation events and/or recognition gifts and awards.
- Grant writing and/or soliciting donations and financial support for volunteer coordination and appreciation.